Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Blessing of Rain

It is monsoon season here in Northern Utah. While it is a blessing to be working, I longed to watch the pouring rain I heard on the roof above me. I watched out of the corner of my eye for bursts of lightning and relished in the mighty power of the thunder. It got me thinking about a time where I was caught in the rain, over 5 years ago. Back then I was much more of a writer.


_____________________________________________




"Sometimes, getting caught in the rain is the best blessing.


After my eight to nine thirty AM class, I find myself driving towards the Rigby building, hoping not to be late for my appointment. The closest parking spot was clear up the road, past the Ag. Engineering building. I pull in, put it in park, and kill the engine. It's been a crazy day as far as weather goes here in Rexburg. Overcast, dark clouds hang overhead and you can hear the roaring of the wind gusts through the trees, against buildings, and rushing past your head. It had been raining early, too. Because I was clear up the road, I had a while to walk until I would reach the Rigby. As I start to look around, I can't help but think "it sure isn't very pretty right now". Dead grass is in front of all the buildings, no sun or blue sky, the trees are bare and everything was cold, wet, and mushy. I did, however, notice the smallest patches of green grass throughout the lawns on campus. When they did show up, they were small and they were insignificant, but they were pure, and they were definitely there.

After my appointment, I glanced out the window and made a comment to the mentor about how heavy it was raining. He wished me off well and I made my way down to the door. Before I opened it, I just stopped and sighed a heavy sigh. It was raining cats and dogs (wherever that expression comes from) and the wind was so powerful the rain was slanted. Think of a classic rain storm off of some movie - that's what I was staring at. I didn't have a hood, nor was I dressed in very warm clothes. I had a peacoat on over a skirt, tights, flats, and button-up shirt. I started my long voyage to the car.

I think about 30 seconds into the weather, it looked like I had just gotten out of a pool; my hair was drenched and sticky, my mascara was running down my cheeks, and my face was pink due to the cold air. My clothes had turned a darker shade because they were now holding water. At one point it felt like I had a brain freeze since the wind and water were so cold against my forehead. I kept glancing up to see if my car was in sight yet, and while I couldn't see it I knew it was there. I kept walking.

Just then, I realized something. Those green patches gave me hope. They were there for a reason. Those green patches were potential. Those green patches, if situations would better, would overcome the dead all around them. The rain was a trial, where often a lot of times, people take it for granted. All they see is the darkness of the clouds, the uncomfortable feelings of the rain, and the lack of life on the earth. I had lost my hope for a second. I forgot how beautiful rain can be. Rain can be a lot to deal with sometimes. We can get lost because our hair got ruined and our perfect little image is tainted, or we feel cold because we didn't prepare ourselves for the trials we should always expect. Trivial things such as those shouldn't matter.



And so I stopped. I looked up at the sky and felt the drops hit and run down my face. I breathed in the freshness of it all and I smiled, remembering how pure and blessed we are to have rain in our lives.

Through the rain, the green patches were still there. Through the trials, the potential is still there. It is up to us to decide what we do with what we're given.


And after the rain, we see the final product of life. That green will grow. We just have to stay on the right path."


_________________________________________________




Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways. I have had a hard trial recently. I am hoping for opportunities but they may not happen, at least not now. I am hoping to changes circumstances but they may not want to. I am hoping to find more of life, but I may be looking in the wrong direction.



Rain is one of those things; we need it, despite our intentions and desires to avoid it.

No comments:

Post a Comment