Saturday, September 19, 2015

A Much Needed Change


The jury is in! I am officially moving to Timpanogos Animal Hospital. I have been hired there as a full time CVT (vet tech). I am looking forward to this fresh start!


Why I moved hospitals:

1. Location: my last place I was driving 60 miles round trip per day, which translates into about 40 minutes one way. When I worked a 12 hour work day, I added 1 hour and 20 minutes to that work day making it so LONG. I wouldn't do anything when I got home. I basically striped my smelly, hairy scrubs and vegged until bedtime. My new workplace is 8 miles away, about 15 minutes one way. Much more reasonable and I'm planning on getting more things done, like cooking for Josh!

2. Management: The old place and I had our differences. One tech was recently promoted and while she was still learning, she made mistakes at my expense that were unprofessional and inappropriate. When I stood up for myself and tried to communicate how I was feeling, they did not handle it well in my opinion. While I don't know anything really about management at the new place, they have been very involved, asking appropriate questions and even calling me in for a working interview to make sure both parties would enjoy this possible new change. No red flags there yet!

3. Accreditation: TAH is AAHA-accredited, which basically means it is held to a high standard of safety operations. Only about 12% of vet hospitals hold this accreditation while 100% of human hospitals hold the equivalent. This is important to me as I continue in my career. This will look great on a resume and learning how these standards work in the workplace will help me in future practices.

4. Experience and Skills: TAH has their techs do EVERYTHING. I would be learning new skills that I may have addressed in school but never actually got to practice including epidurals, cystocentesis, calculating dosages, etc. While I did a lot at my previous workplace, opportunities were limited and I felt like I reached that limit in the year I was there.

5. Certification: In the state of Utah, there are no laws in regulating the certification/licensing/registration of veterinary technicians. It would be like your nurse at your local hospital wasn't a RN. You know they have hit this standard of care.  I am certified through the state of Oregon. My certification for teching will actually be recognized and mean something, which didn't happen at my last place.


When it's down on paper, there is no comparison. While I am grateful for what I learned at my previous employer, I am grateful to be moving on to bigger and better things. I start next week; wish me luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment